Phobos 2.0 Now Released to Market, Includes OpenTelemetry Support, Akka.Hosting, and More
As of today, Phobos 2.0 - our fully OpenTelemetry-enabled instrumentation library for Akka.NET, is now available for production use with Akka.NET.
The key features of Phobos 2.0 are as follows:
- Requires no instrumentation code on the part of the end-user;
- Automatically creates and propagates OpenTelemetry traces during actor messaging, creation,
Ask<T>, crashes, and restarts;
- Automatically records OpenTelemetry metrics for message processing by message type / actor type, mailbox depth, message processing latency, log rates, error rates, and more;
- Automatically records OpenTelemetry metrics for the state of the Akka.NET cluster - including the number of unreachable members, members by status, and so on;
- Includes enhanced noise control for OpenTelemetry tracing via the
ITraceFilterinterface, which allows you to suppress the creation of unwanted trace data in order to reduce cost, noise, and resource consumption;
- Measures latency on message-processing activity from the point in which the message is initially created, so in-flight time over Akka.Remote or time spent in queue can now be easily observed and monitored;
- Uses Akka.Hosting to make Phobos a HOCONless installation experience;
- Is high performance - tracing obviously produces some additional CPU, memory allocation, and bandwidth overhead but Phobos metrics are allocation-free and very performant; and lastly
- Comes with ready-made Akka.NET dashboards for many popular metrics and data visualization platforms.
Phobos’ license fees are still the same as Phobos 1.0 - $4000 per organization per year, and you can buy Phobos instantly with a 30-day moneyback guarantee through Sdkbin.