Tools for Akka.Cluster Management, Actor Hierarchy Visualization, Log Management, and More
Petabridge has been working with Akka.NET users since January, 2015 and one of the biggest gaps in the Akka.NET ecosystem thus far has been adequate tooling for deployment, monitoring, and management of Akka.NET applications. This has been especially true for users who are building sophisticated, high-performance distributed systems using Akka.Cluster.
Today we’re pleased to announce the release of the first one of our tools for this purpose: Petabridge.Cmd - a command-line interface for managing Akka.NET applications in production.
So what can Petabridge.Cmd do? Out of the box, it supports the following:
- Akka.Cluster management - view the status of the cluster, down nodes, trigger nodes to leave the cluster gracefully, and have new nodes join an existing cluster;
- Akka.NET log management - perform a live tail of logs from a given node, view historical logs, manually append log messages, and more;
- Akka.NET actor hierarchy visualization - perform a live trace of the current actor hierarchy, including ones on remote machines;
- System information - view data about the uptime of the current node and etc;
- Ability to define custom, application-specific management commands, which can be automatically downloaded from the Petabridge.Cmd.Host server to the
pbmclient with no code updates necessary; and
- Tab-autocomplete, help information, command memorization, argument hints, and a two-line installation process.
Petabridge.Cmd provides an out of the box experience that is designed to give most Akka.NET users 80% of what they need right out of the gate.
Petabridge.Cmd ships as two component parts which work together:
pbmclient, which can be installed via Chocolatey - a package manager for Windows and
Petabridge.Cmd.Host, which is installed to your...